When a person lacks the capacity to handle his or her affairs, a guardian can be appointed by the Court to manage those matters. In some instances, only a “guardian of the person” is needed to make decisions about personal care. In other instances, a “guardian of the estate” is needed to handle financial matters. In some cases both are needed.


One situation that is sometimes overlooked is guardianship of an adult disabled child. If you are the parent of a disabled child, you will need to be appointed guardian once the child turns eighteen so you can continue to make decisions for the child’s care and well-being.

At Easley & Marquis, we have the expertise to help you determine if guardianship is necessary, assist you in obtaining guardianship and aid you in complying with the accountability requirements the law imposes.